Monday, May 28, 2012

A rejected mail group posting.

This blog is primarily about Clique Space(TM). However, in this post, I'm going to talk about one of the motivations that contributed to the conception of this Clique Space thing: how a society appears to continually want to thwart my attempts at my finding a productive place in it, and how truly pernicious society can appear to be in perpetrating these ends.

Today, I tried to post the following contribution to a mail group. This message contains two ironies:
  1. IBM assert how they're top notch A1 in terms of workplace diversity and anti-discrimination by simply manoeuvring around the spirit of laws which were conceived to help people.
  2. in telling this story, I may risk divulging matters held in confidence by IBM in regard to the nature of their manoeuvres, and how this disclosure might render me liable for prosecution on these grounds.
Anyway, if IBM might ever feel so disposed, then here's their opportunity. The content of the letter I'm quoting here was judged too contentious for posting by the group's moderator.

  • I find the fact that some of the cases given in [US case law] parallel my circumstance to some extent. I have made several applications to IBM and highlighted to them to consider a neuropsychological disability (acquired brain injury) in my case so to provide me with a part-time telework position.

    IBM specifically advance themselves as an employer who doesn't discriminate against disability, yet I find that I have continually been declined jobs when I have applied on these grounds, regardless of the fact that I was in IBM's employ before I received my diagnosis. I had to leave because of the fact that my employment conditions played against my disability, and so my subsequent applications were (and are) an attempt to regain employment with IBM under circumstances which would be more favourable.

    This is a case of IBM playing to the letter of the law rather than the spirit: IBM would not even attend a conciliation meeting with the Australian Human Rights Commission when I made a complaint of discrimination against them. The fact that IBM cannot be compelled to attend these meetings illustrates how the spirit of Australian discrimination law can be evaded while companies like IBM can make motherhood statements about how they value workplace diversity.

    I don't know whether any of what I have disclosed here is confidential, but if I have disclosed anything like this, IBM might now try to sue me for disclosure of confidential information. They would be suing a man who, owing to the fact that he cannot secure a productive job under favourable terms, is a pensioner. So good luck there.

    I regularly draw the attentions of IBM to my frustrations in passionate letters to their recruitment department.

1 comment:

  1. Thank god the deluge of scamming and spamming has ceased. I did receive a nice little page view to this page by someone from England.

    Happy games. Oi Oi Oi. :)

    ReplyDelete